Copper Tongue ScraperRegular price $12.00
Shipping calculated at checkout.
Tongue scraping is an Ayurvedic method of cleaning the tongue using either a special device or a toothbrush.There are multiple microbes in your mouth including bacteria, fungi, and more. Some are helpful, and others are not. Some stick to your teeth and others prefer the tongue. Although the bacteria may not be harmful themselves and are usually normal oral bacteria, there is a delicate balance in the oral microbiome that needs to be maintained for good oral health, much as we are finding with the microbiome balance in other parts of the digestive tract. When bacteria grow on this layer of keratin, the chemicals they release can lead to discoloration of the coating, as well as inflammation. Studies have shown that cleaning the tongue reduces inflammatory markers in oral fluids as well as improvements in volatile sulfur compounds in the mouth that can lead to gingivitis and halitosis (bad breath). Although there is some debate as to whether tongue scraping is better than using a toothbrush, from an Ayurvedic perspective, a smooth tongue scraper causes less irritation and tissue trauma than the bristles of a toothbrush.
Using a tongue scraper can help:
- Improve your sense of taste.
- Improve the appearance of your tongue.
- Remove bacteria.
- Reduce bad breath.
To perform tongue scraping, follow these steps:
- Stand in front of a mirror, open your mouth, and stick out your tongue.
- Gently set the rounded end of the tongue scraper at the back of your tongue.
- If you’re worried about gagging, you may find it helpful to start at the middle of your tongue. You can gradually start from farther back as you get used to scraping.
- Gently touch the scraper to your tongue. Slowly pull it forward, toward the tip of your tongue. You should never push the scraper from the tip of your tongue back. Always go from the back of the tongue to the tip.
- After each scrape, use a washcloth or tissue to remove debris from the scraper.
- Repeat until you’ve scraped the entire surface of your tongue. One to two scrapes across the same area is usually enough.
- Wash the tongue scraper with warm water and soap, dry, and store in a clean, dry area.
The Tongue Scraper Set includes:
- Tongue Scraper
- All Natural Excite-Mint Tooth Powder 20g
- Bamboo Toothbrush (colour varies)
Cheers to your oral health!